- PERSPECTIVE -

- EVERYONE SEEMS NORMAL UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM! -

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Canada

Thanks for reading my blog.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

He did what!

I ran across an article today about (former) U.K. Foreign Secretary Jack Straw that I found to be quite amazing and disturbing.

It seems that Secretary Straw, when Muslim women were visiting his office, would ask them to remove their veils when talking to him.

Secretary Straw said that the veils inhibit communication, and as a cheap defense of his requests, he was quoted as saying: "I just find it uncomfortable to try and have a conversation with someone whose face I can't see!"

Without going into flights of conjecture about the real motives for this strange behaviour, let me just say this: "Secretary Straw showed the utmost disregard and insensitivity towards a specific group that I have seen in a long time!"

His insulting behaviour towards these women and their faith should not be condoned or excused. It doesn't matter what the Secretaries personal views were, he overstepped his bounds and his hubris justifiably led to outrage amongst the local Muslim population.

Actions of this nature do nothing to help open dialogue amongst memebers of different religious or ethnic groups and should not be condoned or left without comment.

Your scribe;
Allan W Janssen

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home