- PERSPECTIVE -

- EVERYONE SEEMS NORMAL UNTIL YOU GET TO KNOW THEM! -

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Canada

Thanks for reading my blog.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday Morning Confusion. # 1336

O.K. ladies and gentlemen, today we have a rare occurrence. It's two-for-one day at Saturday Morning Confusion!

First, for "Loser of the Day" 31-year-old French stock trader Jerome Kerviel, who put tens of billions of dollars at risk in one of history's biggest frauds.

(Skeptics from his neighbors to France's prime minister have questioned whether a single futures trader could have managed such unfathomable sums, but apparently he did.............. badly!)

Adding mystery to stupidity, the bank says Kerviel may not have made any personal gain from his unauthorized trades for which he ALSO wins the coveted Perspective "Asshole of the Week" award!

Now, down to our main business at hand. I have been told by many friends and associates that I am much too cynical at times and I almost start to believe them until I have a week such as this past seven days!

That's when I realize I was right all along!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago, when I went to McDonald's, I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half dozen!

"We don't have half dozen nuggets," said the teenager at the counter.

"You don't?" I replied.

"We only have six, nine, or twelve," was the reply.

"So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?"

"That's right."

So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine.

I picked up one of those "dividers" that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed.

After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the "divider", looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it. Not finding the bar code she said to me, "Do you know how much this is?"

I said to her "I've changed my mind, I don't think I'll buy that today." She said "OK," and I paid her for the things and left.

She had no clue to what had just happened!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went in to work this week, (I work from home....... when I work!) A woman there was putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly.

When I asked what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I was in the office telling everyone about the lady with the credit card, I heard about an Intern who was none too swift.

One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, "I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?"

"Just use copier machine paper," the secretary told her.

With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five "blank" copies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Wednesday I saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car.

"Do you need some help?" I asked.

She replied, "I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?"

"Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an alarm, too?" I asked.

"No, just this remote thingy," she answered, handing it and the car keys to me.

As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied, "Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND FINALLY! (cheers) Here at "Perspective" we're big believers in the importance of various "safe harbors" that protect online service providers from being responsible for the activities or content of their users.

After all, it seems unfair to blame the telephone company if a telephone is used in a crime. However, some people have trouble with that concept -- and some countries don't have the same sort of clear cut safe harbor provisions written into law that we offer.

For example, it seemed pretty ridiculous that France declared Yahoo (yes, the company) and its then CEO war criminals half a decade ago, just because some users had auctioned Nazi memorabilia.

After realizing how ridiculous this was, French courts later reversed that ruling -- and now perhaps they recognize the importance of these kinds of safe harbors.

Apparently, they even changed the law in 2004 to protect sites from being liable for certain actions of its users -- and that law has been now used to clear Wikipedia of any wrongdoing, after the company behind Wikipedia was sued by three people who were upset about how others had written about them in a Wikipedia article.

The court noted that the allegedly defamatory references had been removed and that Wikipedia shouldn't be responsible for that content anyway: "Web site hosts cannot be liable under civil law because of information stored on them if they do not in fact know of their illicit nature."

Nice to see these kinds of safe harbors getting more widespread acceptance.

Allan W Janssen is the author of the book The Plain Truth About God (What the mainstream religions don't want you to know!) and is available at the web site www.God-101.com

Visit the blog "Perspective" at http://God-101.blogspot.com

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, the walmart story, please tell me that's not true, please! As for the 1/2 dozen of one 6 of another - totally believe it. Most of the fast food registers actually have pictures of the items on them now, you were going against what his pictures showed, poor kid, no one ever taught him what a half dozen meant. Idiots.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:48:00 p.m.  
Blogger Allan W Janssen said...

Samantha, I'm afraid that you will never really know if these stories are true or not. As a matter of fact, whether they are true or not doesn't really matter! Does it?

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:49:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of these examples remind me of the movie "Idiocracy".

Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:35:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home